Wednesday, December 21, 2005

A Blast from the Past - Emily's Child

Happy Summer Solstice everyone!

Back in the very early 90s I was in a band called Emily's Child.

We had fun, played around the inner-city pubs (when the Sydney music scene was still vibrant and not yet invaded by poker machines), recorded a few songs... and then, after 4yrs, I left. Numerous were the reasons but; I left, the band stuck together for a few months, and then that was it.

The strange thing was:

The day I announced I was leaving at rehearsal I left in my car and drove home. I was a bit sad but it was something I had to do. The rest of the band understood and said they'd try and keep going for a while. On my way home what should TripleJ decided to play but one of our songs!

They played a songs called Umbrella Dreaming from the Streetwise compilation album. I'd never heard one of our songs on the radio! I was shocked, amazed, excited and, ummm.... no longer in the band! I almost turned around right there and then, to beg to be let back in, but I didn't the time was over :(

We had GREAT fun though :)

Anyway, to get to the crux of this post.

The other day I was looking through some old boxes and found

a) a copy of the Streetwise compilation CD with two of our songs on it (from 1992), and

b) an old demo tape we recorded with three songs that were even older (about 1990, I think).

So, I turned them into MP3s and decided to post them. I'm not sure if any of the other guys are still around. If they are, and they want me to take these files down, that's fine... just get in contact and let me know! Would be great to have a beer with you guys again.

The recordings aren't exactly great, but I still enjoy listening to the songs. I think, considering they're almost 15 yrs old, they hold up pretty well.

Oh, and that's me playing all the guitars (at least 2 on each track, but not at once!). So here they are, for your listening pleasure. Happy Solstice!

Emily's Child 1990 demo tape [mp3 format]

  • Suit of Skin - (Inglis, Cadogan, McKiernan, McDonald)

  • Rhyme - (Inglis, Cadogan, McKiernan, McDonald)

  • Warehouse - (Inglis, Cadogan, McKiernan, McDonald)

Emily's Child (from Streetwise Compilation 1992) [mp3 format]

No comments: