Saturday, February 05, 2005

Anthrpomorphic Portraits

George Underwood is an artist and illustrator, probably best known for album covers such as David Bowie's "Ziggy Stardust" as well as covers for T-Rex, Mott the Hoople and Procul Harum (all great late 60s musicians). He has also done a few Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror book covers in his time (covers for Greg Bear, Brian Lumley and Michael Moorcock).

What I like best about his work though are his "Anthropomorphic Portraits" - traditional style portraits of dogs, cats, birds and lions dressed in late Victorian and early 20th Century finery. They are all quite eerie, but I would love to own one of two to place above the mantlepiece: especially Dr.Schnauzer and Self Portrait.

These are the sort of characters I had in mind when I named this blog, and how many of the characters might appear in the novel I am just starting to write.


No comments: